NAME:Erika “Bozack” Bozinovski
STYLE:hip hop choreo, freestyle, footwork, gliding, bobbin, allstyles
INFLUENCES:the dancers i meet from day to day – no one inspires me more than my talented students
MY STORY:Jump to Resume
Ever since perfecting the “moonwalk” at the age of three, Erika “Bozack” Bozinovski has been involved in the field of dance, classically training in ballet, tap, jazz, modern, and hip hop, all the way through college at UW-Madison, and into the present. An accomplished dancer and choreographer since her early years, Erika came into hip hop dance by studying the foundations of breakin, and incorporating them into choreography, and the more upright style now known as “Hip Hop Dance”
Erika first began teaching at the young age of 14, seeing a need for a feeder-program for her high schools dance team, and building a team to feed that need. It was then that she truly fell in love with dance. Inspired by interaction with young minds, Erika developed a passion for working with dance-lovers of all ages, backgrounds, styles, and skills – and made it her mission to find the dancers that didn’t just WANT to dance, but that NEEDED to dance. She soon after became instrumental in forming and performing in numerous hip hop dance companies in the Madison Area, including co-founding Madison favorites, ViBE2.
Furthermore, Erika has also been a creative force in the Madison hip hop community for over 13 years, winning the Madison Hip Hop Legend Award from Elements of Change, Madison Hip Hop Awards' First Ever "Hip Hop Dancer of the Year Award" and is also the former webmaster for madisonhiphop.com and a current (7-year, only female) host of WORT’s CipherZone, Madison’s only underground hip hop radio show.
Erika proudly holds several State Titles as both coach AND choreographer, and numerous other local and national awards for her hip hop choreography. She has also taught Hip Hop Dance for the PEOPLE program for the past 8 years, and currently teaches for UW Extension. Most recently she accepted a position as the Dance Director for the Boys & Girls Club of Dane County, and will ALSO be teaching two 1-credit courses in Hip Hop Dance for UW-Madison's legendary Dance Department in the Fall of 2012. She has worked for teams, studios, and community centers across Wisconsin for the past 18 years, and hopes to continue until her body forces her to stop.
Her love of hip hop, her dedication to collaboration, and her high energy performance style have become infectious, infiltrating the hearts and souls of those who with a desire to move or be moved.
ERIKA BOZINOVSKI DANCE RESUME
choreographer, teacher and coach.• sweatSHOP Movement, Founder/Director, Dance Course Instructor, Madison, WI, 2008 – present
• University of Wisconsin - Madison Dance Department, Associate Lecturer, Hip Hop Dance, Madison, WI 2012 – present, Lecturer with the Dance Department, preparing curriculum for and teaching two 1-credit Elective Courses in Hip Hop Dance.
• Boys & Girls Club of Dane County, C.A.P.A. Program Dance Director, Madison, WI, 2012 – present, Develop coursework & curriculum, and instruct, for multiple discplines/styles of dance for the Creative & Performing Arts Program, organize frequent performances, fundraise, recruit, etc.
• SWEAT crew & ViBE2 Hip Hop Dance Teams, Choreographer & Head Coach, Madison, WI 2006 – present, Coach & choreographer to Madison’s only competitive hip hop teams, run practices, organize performances, etc.
• UW-Madison PEOPLE Program, Summer Hip Hop Dance Instructor, June 2005 – present Choreograph and teach hip hop dance elective of the fine arts program, organize final performance
• UW-Madison Division of Continuing Studies, Hip Hop Dance Course Instructor, Madison, WI, 2008 – present
• Park High School Dance Team, Choreographer/Asst. Coach, Racine, WI 1997–2004, 2006 – 2008 , 2010 – present, Choreographed numerous award winning pom/dance routines over an 8 year span, back coaching again
• Oregon High School Dance Team, Choreographer & Head Coach, Madison, WI 2008 – 2011, Choreographer, Madison, WI 2005 – 2011, Head coach and choreographer to team, run practices, organize performances and spirit events, etc., Choreographer for team’s season competition routine in hip hop dance
• Edgewood College Eagle Attitude Dance Team, Choreographer & Head Coach, Madison, WI 2004 – 2008, Head coach and choreographer to team, run practices, organize performances and spirit events, etc.
• Diversity Performance Troupe (DPT), Choreographer & Co-Coach, Madison, WI 2004 – 2007, Coach and choreographer to hip hop singers and dancers, organize performances, run practices, etc.
• MATC Inspire Plus Hip Hop Fine Arts Program, Summer Dance Instructor, June 2006 – 2007, Teach ballet, tap, jazz and hip hop elective to hip hop and arts minded youth, develop curriculum, organize and choreograph final performance
• Assn. for Experiential Education - Heartland Regional Conference Keynote Speaker & Performer, April 2006, Keynote co-coordinator, speaker and performer on hip hop and its effect on youth and culture
• Sennett Middle School Drill Team, Choreographer & Co-Coach, Madison, WI 2004 – 2005, Co-coach and choreographed, run practices, organize performances, etc.
• UW-Madison Mini Courses, Hip Hop and Jazz Dance Course Instructor, Madison, WI, Fall 2001 – 2008
• Carthage College Dance/Spirit Team, Choreographer, Kenosha, WI 2002 – 2004, Choreographed for team and choreographed for a fundraiser attraction
• UW-Madison Dance Department, Intermittent Instructor of Modern Jazz Dance (under the study of Phyllis Sanfillippo) Madison, WI Fall 2001
• Starlightz Danz Team, Racine, WI, Both full and part-time Coach and Choreographer, 1999 – 2003
• The Dance Company, Choreographer/Dance Instructor, Racine, WI 1998 – 2001
background and training.
Has studied under:• Shane Sparks, Dave Scott, LaurieAnn Gibson, Lindsay B., Wade Robson, Dena Rizzo, and Geo Hubela in Hip Hop
• Frank Hatchett, Gus Giordano, Brian Friedman, and Phyllis Sanfillipo in Jazz
• Jin-Wen Yu, Maureen Janson, Claudia Melrose, and Karen McShane Hellenbrand in Modern
• Mia Michaels, Wade Robson, Carissa Seaman and Lindsay B. in Contemporary
Specific Highlights:• Milennium Dance Studio, Los Angeles, CA 2003 and 2004, Coursework in Hip Hop and Jazz dance
• UW Madison Dance Dept., Madison, WI 1999 – 2002 Coursework in Jazz, Modern, Improv, and Choreography
• Hubbard Street Dance (Lou Conte Dance Studios), Chicago, IL 2002, Coursework in Hip Hop dance
• Broadway Dance Center, New York, NY 1997 -1998, , Coursework in Jazz, Hip Hop and Swing,
• Various studios since age 4, studying ballet, pointe, jazz, tap, gymnastics, pom pons and hip hop. Started as student and graduated to instructor.
professional and performance awards and highlights.• First-ever Recipient “Hip Hop Dancer Of The Year” at the Madison Hip Hop Awards 2010
• 2007 Elements of Change “Madison Hip Hop Legend Award for Hip Hop Dance” for contributions to the Madison, WI Hip Hop Dance Community - only ever recipient of this award
• “Women in Hip Hop” Panelist at The Good Life Organization Block Party, Chicago, IL, July, 2011
• Coach’s Leadership Award, UDA Camp (as coach), July 2010
• Only Female Radio Host and collective member on The CipherZone (conscious hip hop radio show) on WORT 89.9FM, Madison WI, from 2006 - present
• First ever b-girl [hip hop dance female] listed on madisonhiphop.com, November, 2003
• Walt Disney World, Orlando, FL, Badgerette All-Stars performance, Feb. 1999
• Macy’s Day Parade Performer, Universal Dance Association (UDA), New York, NY Nov. 1997 & 1998
• All Star and/or Outstanding Performer Awards at the following camps – UDA Camps 1997 and 1998, Badgerette Camp 1998, American All Star Camp 1998, NCA Danz Camp 1996
choreography awards and highlights.
• Oregon High School Dance Team
- 3rd Place Division 1 Hip Hop Routine 2011, WACPC Southern Regional Dance Competition, Watertown, WI
- 4th Place Division 1 Hip Hop Routine 2010, WACPC STATE Finals Dance Competition, La Crosse, WI
- 4th Place Division 1 Hip Hop Routine 2010, WACPC Southern Regional Dance Competition, Watertown, WI
- 3rd Place High School Large Group Hip Hop Routine 2010, Spirit of America Competition, Bloomington, MN
- 1st Place Hip Hop Routine 2009, Wisconsin Raiders Dance Competition, Wisconsin Rapids, WI
- 1st Place Division 2 Hip Hop Routine 2009, WACPC STATE Finals Dance Competition, La Crosse, WI
- 1st Place Division 2 Hip Hop Routine 2009, WACPC Southern Regional Dance Competition, Watertown, WI
- 1st Place Hip Hop Routine 2008, Wisconsin Raiders Dance Competition, Wisconsin Rapids, WI
- 1st Place Hip Hop Routine 2008, Kettle Morraine Spirit Challenge, Kettle Morraine, WI
- 3rd Place Division 1 Hip Hop Routine 2008, WACPC Southern Regional Dance Competition, Watertown, WI
- 3rd Place Hip Hop Routine 2007, Wisconsin Raiders Dance Competition, Wisconsin Rapids, WI
- 3rd Place Hip Hop Routine 2006, Wisconsin Raiders Dance Competition, Wisconsin Rapids, WI
- 1st Place Hip Hop Routine 2005, Wisconsin Raiders Dance Competition, Wisconsin Rapids, WI
• ViBE2 Hip Hop Dance Team
- Top Four Team Selection 2010, “Move If You Want It” Hip Hop Dance Competition, Madison, WI
- “Most Crowd Appeal Award” 2009, Spirit of America Competition, Bloomington, MN
- 2nd Place Senior All-Star Hip Hop Routine 2009, Spirit of America Competition, Bloomington, MN
- 2nd Place Senior All-Star Hip Hop Routine 2008, Spirit of America Competition, Bloomington, MN
• Park High School Dance Team
- 1st Place Funk Routine 2002, Badgerette Midwest Regional Competition, Arlington Heights, IL
- 2nd Place Funk Routine 2002, Badgerette Spirit Invitational, Location Unknown
- 6th Place Funk Routine 2001, Badgerette Midwest Regional Competition, Arlington Heights, IL
- 11th Place Open (Pom Pon) routine 1998, Badgerette Midwest Regional Competition, Arlington Heights, IL
• National Poetry Slam Collaborative Performance, Choreographed and staged 14 dancers and 5 poets
as a featured performance and the National Poetry Slam Finals, Madison, WI 2008
• Miss Gay WI Pageant, Choreographed and staged ~15 stage dancers, 1st Place Talent, Green Bay, WI 2004
• Mr. Gay USA Pageant, Choreographed stage show for Mr. Wisconsin, Hickory, NC 2002